How to Develop a Wellness Attitude

Posted on Jun 2, 2019


One of the main reasons people visit chiropractors is because they want to feel better. Whether they have pain in their neck, shoulders, back or elsewhere, the hope is that a chiropractor can help relieve that pain through manual adjustments. It’s a natural way to deal with problems in the body.

A person’s health is, of course, physical, but also mental. Your body and mind are connected. Therefore, in order to improve your overall health, you should strive to develop a wellness attitude.

What is wellness? It’s the state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal. What is attitude? It’s a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something. It’s typically reflected in a person’s behavior.

There are certain things you can do to develop a wellness attitude.

First, consider the 80/20 approach to life. Most people, when they want to be healthier, decide to eat nothing but healthy foods and exercise like there’s no tomorrow. But that’s too intense! Instead, consider taking the 80/20 approach, whereas you make healthy food/drink choices 80 percent of the time for 5 or 6 days a week and “do what you want” the other 20 percent of the week. This way, you’re still able to enjoy the things you like, such as beer and pizza. You’re not totally denying yourself. But, because you’ve got a goal in mind to eat “better” 80 percent of your week, you’re going to improve your overall health. Eating healthy means choosing foods that aren’t high in calories. It means choosing higher-protein snacks. It means avoiding sugary processed foods. So, for 6 days a week, eat things like carrots, peppers, yogurt, nuts, and turkey. Then on day 7, allow yourself some leeway, and eat cookies, pastries, etc.

Next, set small, achievable goals. Rather than saying, “I need to lose 20 pounds this month!” you should say, “I’m going to work to lose 3 pounds this month.” That’s more realistic.

In order to develop a wellness attitude, start thinking about your time and decide to manage it more efficiently. What are you doing with your time to feel better about you and your life? Make a list of priorities and then assign weights to them– what’s high priority? What’s low? For instance, “going to the gym to swim at their pool” could be high-priority such that, in your mind, you’ve got it down on the calendar for Tuesdays and Thursdays at Noon. That’s do-able. What’s low priority? Maybe “going to the bar to drink with friends.”

Take some time to think about how you spend your time and what you do with your mind and body… if you smoke, do whatever it takes to quit. If you don’t exercise, now’s the time to get some accountability and actually exercise– having a friend or a coach who you “check in with” or who “directs” you can help with this.

Finally, to develop a wellness attitude, commit to “me time” where you clean yourself well (washing your hands, your hair, etc.), sleep/rest, stretch, dance, read the Bible or an inspirational book, pray, meditate, etc. Oh, and see your chiropractor regularly, so that your body is in alignment and can function optimally.

Submit a Comment

Google Rating
4.8